Tuesday, March 11, 2008

"...Lord knows it would be the first time."


Katie my friend, I write this introductory paragraph to you: I broke down. I'm sorry. I hope your respect for me does not waiver. I've missed a written dialogue, something neither of us seems to have time enough for these days, and seeing as how I will be needing to stay in touch with a great many people in six months time I figured this will be a better way to do it than mass e-mails every few months. And let's be honest: it was going to happen eventually anyway.

Today I found out I was accepted to Central School of Speech and Drama. For those of you who don't know, this school is the alma mater of the likes of Judi Dench, Rufus Sewell, Harold Pinter, Gael Garcia Bernal, and of course one of my all time favorites: Laurence Olivier. If you want a whole list, check them out here. The course is the MA in Advanced Theatre Practice, focus on Performance (I also auditioned for the Classical Acting Course, and am currently waiting for the rejection letter from that program--never in my life have I been less articulate. Ever.). It's a year long, pretty intense looking, and also:

It's in London.

So come October, after being half of a pair of Maids of Honor for my childhood best friend's wedding, I'm moving. It's been a dream since forever, to study in London, to move to London, to run away and potentially never come back, and the actuality of it is both shocking and gratifying. How often do you get what you really want? Seriously? There's a discussion to be had there, the fear that comes with actually attaining a desire, but let's forget about it right now. Something tells me it'll come up eventually.

The reason for this blog is to, as my friend Dani has done, make a place to share with friends who are far far away any notable happenings that one might share at a dinner party...if said friends were in a close enough vicinity to come to a dinner party. So, my loves: these are letters to all of you, with less of a lag than the snail post of old and without the cost of postage--which can add up, given the overseas aspect.

Rabbiting, for those not familiar, is a term that means to talk incessantly (or so says my Trainspotting glossary, and I'll take it). I tend to do this generally, so I figured it was an appropriate description of what was going on here. I'll try to keep myself (read: my personal life) out of this forum, as that's the first thing that's always been my biggest argument against blogging and source of much hatred for bloggers in general, but I've never claimed to not be hypocrite and I'll probably slip up every once in a while. I'm not better than anybody else. And if I hate myself because of these occasional wanderings in subject matter, no matter. I am an actor: self-loathing is usually required.

So here we go my friends. Here we go...

6 comments:

greedygreen said...

Seeing as I've recently broken down and started and economics/environmental B..... (oh god, I can't even say it)....blog, I can't very well give you a hard time for yours. I look forward to reading of your escapades! - Katie

Lea Maria said...

KC--You are a lying lying liar. But I love you. Let's make an excuse to discuss narrative structure at some point, like we always said we would!

Dani said...

Congratulations! What a fabulous reason to start a blog! I can't wait to tell my dad (about your acceptance to awesome school, london, not about the blog). He always knew there would be great things for you.

And welcome to the world of blogging. Bloggity blog blog blog. I have no problem with the word, or the activity. Let's drown the world in voices! HERE IS MY STORY.

Clayton said...

you ARE aware of how obsessed i've become with blogs, aren't you? granted, i haven't quite made it to constructed my own (though it's been on my list of "things to do").

that being said, i am SOSO happy for you! it sounds like an absolutely wonderful opportunity. perhaps now i'll have to apply to the rcm so we can actually spend a bit of time together.

hope to talk to you soon! :)

Lea Maria said...

Clayton! I had no idea! Brilliant! You must apply to RCM--you and me in London: what could stop us?!

Lori said...

I am sooooo proud of you! Congratulations!

In this world you have reach for your dream, for what feeds your soul, for what allows the inner child in you to play and for what sustains the adult. Life is too short to just coast in the fog that most of exist in. Congratulations!

I look forward to visiting you in London.