Thursday, April 3, 2008

NY Event Number Two: Riding between cars on the 1 train to see the abandoned 93rd St. station.

So this was awesome, and if I could (given that it suddenly became legal and less dangerous {though that'd probably ruin the fun of it}) I would ride between cars all the time. No pictures I'm afraid.

Heidi and I finally went out for a celebratory dinner in honor of our grad school acceptance at French Roast, about a month-to-the-day after our auditions/interviews. On the way home, drunk enough on Argentinian wine to have the courage and care to bother, we did as KCruger recommended and rode between cars on the 1 train between the 86th St. and 96th St. stations to see the abandoned 93rd St. one. It should also be noted that after we saw it, we got seats in the car we moved into, which is some kind of triumph.

It's such an ominous word: abandoned. <--and didn't that font choice make it more so? Makes one think of ghost towns, and what's left behind that no one talks about but silently acknowledges. The station was closed because it was too close to the 96th St. station, and I guess the city couldn't justify the cost of having two stations in such proximity to one another. The walls are covered with graffiti to the point it almost camouflages it--there's a LOT of graffiti along that train line, more than most I venture to say. Having ridden the 1 train constantly over the past two years, I never noticed the station before. It was nice to discover something brand new about my commute, and to be reminded that there are still things you might miss even if you know something really well. I look forward to more discoveries about the city like this, though I don't know if I have the balls to follow Emma's advice to dash across the tracks somewhere in Brooklyn. We'll see. It might take something harder than Argentina has to offer.

3 comments:

cokaly said...

yay for French Roast! i had a first somewhatkindofbutnotreally first date there once....good times. this commute sounds like fun, though how does riding INSIDE the cars prevent you from seeing the abandoned station?

Lea Maria said...

You know, Clayton--I'm not sure. It may have something to do with the amount of light inside the car, or something, that makes the station indecipherable from the rest of the wall/graffiti down there. I feel like I vaguely remember seeing it once from the train and wondering about it, but that may be invented from suggestion. Both Heidi and I were on the lookout for it after Katie's post, and neither of us could find it then. So I just don't know.

And French Roast is lovely. And the host bought us our first drinks! I think the cleavage helped, though.

cokaly said...

cleavage always helps. i've even been known to use it from time to time....