Saturday, May 17, 2008

"...I'm leaving on a jet plane..."

Not yet. But below is a picture of me backstage of the show I'm currently in (we close tonight), playing a GPS unit in a car. And oh yes, that's a stewardess's outfit. I look like I walked out of the Britney Spears "Toxic" video (I love that video!). The girl to my right is fellow cast member, Colleen.



This is what happens when you do favors for people. I was a last minute replacement when they had some girl drop out unexpectedly. My friend Jake asked me at an audition we were both at two weeks ago to step in, and I realized I wasn't doing anything else this weekend so might as well. I do more random stuff because I have nothing else scheduled, I swear. Another friend Andrew is also in the show, in the first piece of the evening, which was unknown to me until he sent out an invite e-mail. This just proves once again that the New York Theatre world is really only four people big, and that some where along the line, you'll have worked with everyone, even if just by-proxy.

I have to find/write another play wherein I play a stewardess so I can get my money's worth out of the costume. Though I have to say, I have a right mind to wear the little jacket out--it's ridiculous, but somehow cute in it's gratuitousness. Very dance recital. I need to put some darts in the back, though. I picked it up at Abracadabra, and I suppose it's meant to be one of those "sexy costumes"<--the company that manufactured it was called "Secret Wishes." It's made out of this kind of manufactured polyester that's closer to plastic, that I can only assume is really useful in terms of being easy to clean if something is spilled on it ("Wink wink, nudge nudge, say no more!"). I look very silly, I assure you. But I do so little in the play (the majority of my lines are directions: "Left turn in point two miles." "Make a left." "Remain on the current road.") that I had to do something to entertain myself. This was the best thing I could think of.

I guess this will be the last show I do in New York. That realization is kind of weird, considering the piece, and considering that it may very well be it for me in this city. But that can't true. I don't think I really believe that.

I wish I had little gloves that stopped at the wrist. That would be the ultimate accessory for this outfit.

Next time.

3 comments:

dcoates said...

I just want to say that I fully support you wearing the entire outfit out on a Friday night.

greedygreen said...

Ok, when I read the end of that post I had the overwhelming urge to weap. What do you MEAN that might be it for you in this city? What? You're going to grad school in London, not skinny dipping in Chernobyl or flitting about Cape Town after dark. You WILL be back eventually, if only to grafity your American fans in a 4-week stint on BWay.

Perhaps, just perhaps, this is just me projecting from my far away grad school program...

Lea Maria said...

Dustin-

The letter's taking forever, but I'll try to get it out soon! And I'm working on a place and time for the outfit.

Katie-

We both know I may not come back. I'll marry some English bloke, and we'll both be artists and barely afford to live, let alone visit the states. It is up to you to become a brilliant, world renowned Ph.D. type, with lots of funding, so you can throw some our way, thus enabling us to present our work to the American public--even if only through video blogging. I'll be back someday. But not for a time.

Or maybe I'll graduate, be unable to get a job, not be in a relationship, unable to renew my visa, and be back home in time for my 25th birthday.

We'll see.

But given the prospects, I'd rather the first option. Even if it does mean destitution for a while.