Saturday, December 6, 2008

"It feels like Christmas"


Truth be told, I hate December. Nothing makes me feel worse than the cold, the dark, and the holiday stress: between seeing an overwhelming amount of people, the amount of money spent (especially when one has so little to start with--will the impoverished artistic existence ever end?), and the feeling of never being able to give enough...yeah, it takes a lot for me to really savor the season, as it were.

So for me, the spirit of the season never really starts until I see A Muppet Christmas Carol for the first time. Today I went with some classmates to see the movie, which was playing at the Barbican Centre--a HUGE arts complex, placed in the middle of a strange place. The buildings that surround the Barbican creates a microcosm in the middle of London, designed in tones of Orwell. But there are flowers. Weird. But the Barbican Centre is a remarkable place, host to some pretty remarkable work, as well as a family film series. This program was the (brilliant) reason the movie was showing. I haven't seen the movie on the big screen since it came out in 1992 when I was in the third grade, but I watch it every year, multiple times, know every line and song by heart, and it never ceases to pick me up. I love that there are some pieces of art that stick with us always as something we cherish and remind us of what's really important in life, and what we can do to make our existence a little easier. It's good to remember, to paraphrase the Muppets, to carry the love we find so we're never quite alone. I hope to carry the love I've found over this past year from friends and family to make this season go by a little easier, and I hope you can all do the same.

And now, to more X-mas shopping...

Blech.

No comments: