Sunday, April 19, 2009

The 4-1-1 on the last couple of weeks.

Yes, yes: the prodigal son has returned. This is going to be a quickie entry, that will hopefully cover a lot of ground very fast. Here we go:

I went back to the hat exhibit with Lisa, and bought some embroidery patterns by a whimsical Austin-based company. My antics with Herman have sparked the crafting bug in me, and I intend to get through a set of napkins and place mats and set them aside for my next friend that I hear is moving into an apartment. This sounds like something my mother would do, and to come to this place of pre-domesticity (buying/preparing gifts in advance of a recipient) causes me to wonder about myself. In the meanwhile: I LOVE embroidering.

I finished The Wire, and while it did not alight my heart the way BSG did for so many years, that was some DAMN GOOD television. I have also started in on Brotherhood, an attempt by Showtime to blend the themes of both The Sopranos and The Wire, and have begun to wonder: are there any good American male TV actors out there? The brothers concerned on Brotherhood are playing men who grew up in a working class Irish family in Providence, R.I., but the roles have been filled by an Englishman and an Australian. The Wire's lead was British, as was one of it's key supporting players for three seasons. And this phenomenon is present in a crap load of other shows out there. Seriously, what is the deal? What do these actors have that American actors do not? Are they cheaper? Are they better trained? Or do they just happen to be right for the part? I ponder this.

I signed up for a puppetry class at the Little Angel Theatre. I am excited and also scared, but mostly excited.

Spent a Saturday evening at the BFI, at a self-imposed double feature of French New Wave (my favorite genre of foreign cinema). Saw Et Dieu...crea la femme, and Bob le Flambeur, the first foreign film at saw the art house cinema I used to frequent in Pennsylvania which, like The Maltese Falcon, is a movie I will always go out of my way to see on the big screen. Have decided I need to dress like Brigitte Bardot. But perhaps *with* a bra.

On Easter, my parents came into town, and we covered a LOT of ground. A short list of what we did:
  • Visited the Tower of London
  • Strolled outside in Whitehall
  • Saw War Horse (which was great)
  • Visited Windsor Castle
  • Visited Stonehenge (less impressive than you'd think)
  • Visited the Roman Baths...in Bath
  • As a family, picked out a flask for my father
  • Bought me my first pair of Converse (which I'm still getting used too--a pair of shoes has never made me feel so young in my entire life)
  • Got coffee at Jason's stall Wednesday morning, before their flight
It was a nice visit that was just long enough, I think, and I enjoyed seeing them after so many months.

I helped another RMO group with their research. They were looking at the different work involved in film acting and stage acting. They wrote a script, and the first day we worked they filmed our dialogue, and then the second day they had us perform in front of an audience. The screen acting was H-A-R-D: I haven't been thrown like that in a long time, and I felt just awful about it. I had no idea what I was doing with my body in terms of continuity, and felt like I had no time to prepare, couldn't set any choices about movement that would affect editing, etc. It was crazy, and I was way off my game. And it made me hungry to do it right. After this overload with American TV via iTunes, all I keep thinking about is how badly I've wanted to do television work for so long, but always wrote it off: I'm too fat/not pretty enough for film. Those have always been the chief reasons/excuses to not bother about it. But for the first time in a long time, I did something wrong and wanted to get it right. I don't expect a career change anytime soon, but certainly I have a broader focus that I did before, and there's always a benefit in that.

Have decided to try to build a puppet of a coot, my favorite waterfowl I continually encounter during my jogs through Regent's Park. They have the strangest feet, and make a noise akin to a bicycle horn. Yes, yes: these birds are for me!

We performed again at The Great Orchidaceous Travesty, and now are gearing up for our major research presentation that's scheduled about a week from now.

Work continues on The One Thing May Lead to Another in discussion over a blog we built. Once RMO presentations are done, we'll probably jump into this, head first. But for now, we are strictly in development, throwing around ideas and suggestions for exercises. We don't have a director on this piece, and I admit that this makes me nervous. But so far everyone has been focused and enthusiastic about what we could create, and that's been good.

Also: lots of introspection going on. But let's save that for another entry, shall we?

No comments: