Friday, May 8, 2009

Theatre Design Expo

My friends Max and Caitlin, both scenographers on the MA-ATP, were showing off their work at Central's Design Expo yesterday. It was a really nice event to attend, as it highlighted an aspect of theatre that doesn't get nearly as much note as it should. Let's face it: if you didn't direct something, act in something, or write something, most people outside of the world of performing art don't have a clue all the things that are taken into account when doing all of those other jobs that make a piece of theatre happen (although, it could be argued--and fairly--that those people also don't really know what it is to direct, act, or write either...). As an actor, I'm just as guilty of having little knowledge of how a designer does their job and what they try to explore while doing it, and it was a real treat to see so many examples of the process and product designers at Central had created all in one place, to allow for closer examination of those aspects the majority of the theatre-going world often takes for granted, not excluding myself.

Both Caitlin and Max showed parts of their Narcissus and Echo project, and Caitlin, who had worked on Stage Two Practice in the same ensemble I was in, showed off a lot of pictures of myself and Ronan and the infamous Perspex. It looked pretty shrine-like to me, and I took a picture to feed my ego.


Seriously, though: a couple candles and it would be complete. I wonder if a designer's narcissism is anywhere near an actor's...

No, that's impossible. Now there's something designers will never understand about acting.

4 comments:

Caitlin said...

God what an unattractive picture!

And to answer your question, no, a designer's narcissism is nowhere near an actor's. Or maybe we just hide it better.

;-)

No pictures of Max's tape extravaganza?

Lea Maria said...

I didn't take any pictures of Max's work, because it featured me in no way. How awful is that?

I think that picture of you is adorable, even without all of those smaller shots of me in the background!*

*Did you see that right there? That was some kind of "humbling" statement...

;)

Box Office said...

You're right: needs candles.

Zuzu Petals said...

That was me. I have too damned many google profiles, apparently...